I have been weaving a Collapse Weave Scarf using 2/21 Wool and 50/2 high twist wool yarn. The structure is 1/3 and 3/1 twill in stripes.
This is it on the loom.
This is it off the loom before washing.
I finished the scarf with a soak in warm water and the magic happened. It collapsed into neat pleats with the colours on one side and the dark purple on the reverse.
Forgot to mention I also made Boris the Red Squirrel from Toft Alpaca Book. He is cute!
I have also been knitting socks and have done most of the patterns in Coop Knits book. I have just ordered Rachel’s next book A Knitted Sock Society. Once you have worn hand knitted socks, no others are quite the same.
I can’t believe it has been six months since I have last wrote anything on my blog. However I have been busy doing lots of different things.
We did spend quite a lot of time at our caravan in Norfolk knowing that at the end of October we would be giving it up for good. It was a good summer and the weather was great most of the time. I know we are going to miss Norfolk, but we are looking forward to new horizons.
I did another session of the Masterclass in Weaving in October, but have now decided that I do not want to complete the second year. I learnt a lot in the first year and my weaving has improved. I now am quite confident in dyeing my own yarn. Putting on a warp is not such a big deal either any more.
Made the above Bionic Gear Bag from a pattern by RipSticher (www.bionicgearbag.com) It is brilliant and holds everything for my sewing, knitting and weaving, together with pencils, rulers, scissors, etc…… See picture below for opened out view showing the handy tray at the front.
Bionic Gear Bag
I made a little Christmas Card using the Christmas Tree design I wove in huck lace. This was part of a large sampler I completed on huck lace to explore the weave. Again it was a revelation that I could actually design the motif I wanted and then weave it.
Next I wove a lovely scarf in 21/2 wc wool for my friend John. I dyed the wool in grey for the warp and blue/purple for the weft. It is woven in a braided twill design using 8 shafts.
I liked this so much that I am now weaving DH one in grey and aqua. My yellow dye stock solution did not work very well, so that it was not as strong as it should have been resulting in the finished colour being aqua instead of the green he had requested! Lol.
Happy New Year to my followers. I must get on now and finish the above scarf.
Just returned from Session 3 of my Masterclass course. Another good session where we looked at Rep and Shadow weave and actually designed our own pattern from a simple motif. That was really exciting and just need to do more now I am home.
Yesterday I took my friend Diane to Denman College for Tea and Textiles. This was looking at some of the textiles in the WI archives and included smocks and embroidery samplers. The work was very fine and was made up of teaching samples and competition entries. I was a bit disappointed to note that there were no weaving samples or any wool work! Afternoon tea included the smallest scones I have ever seen!
Busy yesterday dyeing some wool for weaving project and doing a spot of weaving. My wool soaking in the ferment bath doesn’t seem to be doing much in spite of being in soak for 8 days!
I am trying to wash an old Jacob fleece following the vat fermentation method as described on On-Line Guild. Put my first part in rain water and am leaving now for 7days.
My next task is to continue to weave my block weave sampler, and then get on with my project which needs to be presented to Janet at next session mid July. Time is running away from me and I am beginning to panic!
Made my marmalade yesterday. Very successful recipe chopping everything in the food processor. Worked a treat. Very pleased with the results.